Knitstant Gratification

The crafting adventures of a knitter, music lover, and hockey fan.

Havelock Pullover

Posted by Andi on May 28, 2017

So, it’s been just about a month since I posted, and I finished this FO two months ago. Oops! Better late than never.

Tim's new sweater. The mistakes bother me way more than they bother him. #knitting
Pattern: Havelock Pullover by Shaulaine White
Yarn: Hobby Lobby I Love This Wool Solids in colorway 353 Deep Prussia, 6 skeins (1260 yards), and Lion Brand Wool-Ease Solids in Cocoa, .49 skeins (97.3 yards; 1357 yards total)
Needles: US 6 and US 7
Date started: December 31, 2016
Date completed: March 30, 2016

There were problems with this sweater from the beginning. It’s amazing that it looks as good as it does. This was the second sweater pattern I was going to cast on. The first was knit in the round. I changed my mind and decided to do this pattern, which is knit flat in pieces. But I had the knitting in the round thing from the first pattern in my head, so when I cast on I started knitting the front in the round. That didn’t work out so well. I did a few rounds wondering why it seemed so small when I realized it was because it was only the front and supposed to be knit flat. Oops.

I did not knit a gauge swatch, but I did measure my knitting from time to time. I was on gauge, and if anything, it was turning out smaller rather than bigger. That was fine, because I was knitting the smallest size for Tim and there was some wiggle room – if it came out a bit smaller than the schematic it was going to be fine. That is, until I made the body of the sweater about .5 to 1 inches longer than the pattern said before binding off for the arms. I didn’t think it was that big of a deal, and the extra length was probably good for Tim, so I didn’t rip back. That would come back to bite me.

When I got toward the end of the body I realized the sweater ate up much more yarn than I thought it would, and worried I wouldn’t have enough to finish. The sleeves have way less cabling on them than the body of the sweater does, so I thought maybe I would be fine. I was not fine. I ran out of yarn.

Before I did, I went into my stash to find some contrasting colors. I gave Tim a few choices, and also let him know we could go shopping if he didn’t see something he liked. He went with the brown, which I think looks really nice. I also gave him the option of having a brown or blue collar. He wanted brown so that it would pull the whole sweater together.

I really liked how the brown looked with the blue, and thought everything would be fine after that. But if you look closely, you will see that there is more brown on one sleeve than the other. I have no idea how that happened, and didn’t even notice it until Tim put the sweater on. Ugh. He doesn’t mind, he said he’d keep that side pushed up.

In the end I think it’s looks great. There are a couple of cabling errors that bother me, but Tim said he didn’t want me to rip back to fix them. They were fine by him.

Winter Camp ended so long ago, but I finished this long enough ago that it counted for Winter Camp. It was finished right before the buzzer, so to speak. I got extra points for using so much yardage – it counted as a black diamond project.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: