Posted by Andi on May 30, 2016
Pattern: Cozy Cable Socks by Terry Morris
Yarn: Leading Men Fiber Arts Show Stealer in Purple Rain, 1 skein (435 yards)
Needles: US 1
Date started: March 30, 2016
Date completed: May 30, 2016
I finally finished these socks for Tim. It took me longer than normal to finish these. First, I put them down to finish the shawl I wore to the wedding. Second, I messed up the stitch placement on the second sock, so I put this project in time out for a while. Third, because of all the cables I had to cast on more stitches than I would for non-cabled socks, so it ate up more yarn and required more stitches than I typically use.
I did not weigh the hank of yarn before I started knitting, but I always weigh my finished objects so I can figure out how many yards were used. When I weighed these socks this morning, they were 102 grams. It’s supposed to be a 100 gram skein. Weird! I didn’t have much yarn left – maybe just enough for a hexipuff. It’s a good thing there might have been slightly more yardage! So, when trying to figure the number of yards used, I just took what is supposed to be in a typical skein, so 435 yards.
It is difficult to photograph this yarn. In every kind of light it looks like a slightly different color. If you go to my project page you will see the socks are a slightly different color in each photo. It’s not quite periwinkle, it’s more purple than that, but not much. It’s a bit tonal and very beautiful.
Posted in Uncategorized | 1 Comment »
Posted by Andi on May 22, 2016
After I finished my Frost Flowers Stole I went back to knitting some socks I started for Tim. I had to put them on the side to finish the shawl on time. I was making good progress. I finished the first sock, started the second sock. I was moving right along when I realized that I was doing the gusset wrong. I didn’t have the stitches distributed on the needles correctly, so I was decreasing in the wrong place.
I just wanted to throw the socks down and forget about them, but I didn’t. I ripped back to where I had to pick up stitches to start the gusset so I wouldn’t forget what the problem was, or pick them up one day and forget it was wrong and knit even more. Then I put them in time out.
I needed something else to do, so I decided to knit some hexipuffs. Back at the end of 2015 I started knitting hexipuffs out of yarn a friend sent me. I didn’t get through all of the different fingering weight yarns she sent before the end of the year, so I spent the past couple of weeks making hexipuffs out of the different yarns she sent me.
I have finally used up the yarn she gave me last night – except for two white balls of yarn that I’m saving for cuffs, heels and toes for socks.
It was so nice out yesterday that I was able to knit some of the hexipuffs outside! The weather has been really on and off here. We have one or two nice days, and then a week of icky days. But yesterday it was sunny and warm, and we spent the afternoon on our front porch.
After I finished those hexipuffs I filled my current hexipuff project bag with leftovers another friend, one from my knitting group, gave me. I will try to make two hexipuffs out of each leftover yarn she sent me too. I may or may not start that today.
Oh, and Tim’s socks. I did pick up the gusset stitches and did the first decrease row. I stopped there so that I can finish the gusset and work on the foot on my trip this week.
Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a Comment »
Posted by Andi on May 14, 2016
Pattern: Frost Flowers Shawl by Charlene Schurch
Yarn: Knit Picks Gloss Lace in 24846 Lilac, 2.44 skeins (1073.6 yards, 122 g)
Needles: US 5
Date started: April 4, 2016
Date completed: May 7, 2016
I worked on this shawl fairly monogamously through the month of April so that it would be finished in time to wear to a wedding on May 7. If you look at the date above, you will see I actually finished it on the day, which is a bit misleading because I only wove in the ends that day. I finished knitting it and blocking it earlier in the week. I thought this shawl looked pretty complicated, but the lace was actually pretty intuitive after I got a row or two into each repeat. Here is a close up of the lace.
I wore the shawl to the wedding. I thought it looked nice with my dress. Someone actually stopped Tim and I on the street on the way to the wedding to tell us how nice we looked.
Everyone in my knit group was looking forward to seeing the finished shawl because I have been knitting on it for so many weeks. So I brought it on Monday, and one of the ladies noticed a hole! Oh no! Thankfully it was just on the seam. The shawl is knit in the round from the outside in, and grafted together in the middle. Apparently when I blocked it, I stretched it too long for the seam and it snapped. Thankfully only a few stitches came out of the seam, and because this yarn is not too slick none of the stitches dropped down. I quickly put the loose stitches on waste yarn, and I will be able to repair it soon. I just couldn’t bring myself to do it yet. But I will.
Posted in Uncategorized | 1 Comment »