I was really looking forward to January rolling around this year in order to participate in the Puck This! group on Ravelry’s January Hat Trick. The timing is perfect. I have yarn I want to destash, and I had some yarn I knew I wanted to use to make a hat. I have completed my hat trick. Here are my goals!
This was my first hat to make sure I got it done by the end of the month. One of my friends is collecting items for a charity auction next month. We knit red items because the theme is Go Red for Women. The had had to be finished by the end of the month. The first few rows took forever, and I thought this hat might take the whole month. However, after a few rows the pattern started to become more intuitive, and I was able to finish it quickly.
I bought this yarn when I was in Pennsylvania back in August with the intention of making a hat. I held onto this skein of yarn until January for that reason. I thought the cable in this pattern would be interesting and show off the yarn well. My head is small and I have really thin hair, so hats are often big for me. But the first hat fit fine, and I went down a needle size with this one, so I thought I would be fine. But, as you might be able to tell, it’s a bit loose. It’s not loose enough to come off, though, so it actually reduces hat head. This is that hat I will wear when I need to be in a professional situation or I’m going somewhere nice.
I used this yarn to make a sweater, and I didn’t think I had enough left to make much other than a hat. I’ve had this pattern book for years. I started to make a shawl in it, but didn’t get very far and quit. I did a library search on Ravelry for hats made with aran yarn and found this one. The stitch pattern is interesting, but it was knit flat and seamed. I debated knitting it in the round, but decided to get some seaming practice. My seam looks crappy because by the time it came to seam it up I really just wanted to be done with the hat and didn’t take the care with it that I should have. The great thing that came out of making this hat is the fact that I determined that the yarn I had for that shawl I stopped making is enough to make a cute top in the pattern book, so I discovered something else I can make later in the year.
I was glad to get some yards out right away in the beginning of the year: 478 yards! However, a friend gave me some sock yarn leftovers for my Beekeeper’s Quilt, and I estimate about 1,008 yards of sock yarn was in that bag. So I’m at 47.4%. I have a lot of work to do!