Knitstant Gratification

The crafting adventures of a knitter, music lover, and hockey fan.

Safari Socks

Posted by Andi on June 10, 2014

When I bought new self-striping yarn on my birthday, I figured I would want to knit toe up socks and use a gusset or short row heel because, well, I don’t know, just because. Then I realized it had been forever since I knit a pair of toe up socks. You know what that means. Time to practice!

Safari Socks
Pattern: Gusset Heel Basic Socks by Wendy D. Johnson from the book Socks from the Toe Up
Yarn: Regia Silk Color in 0183, 1.44 skeins
Needles: US 1
Date started: May 26, 2014
Date completed: June 9, 2014

According to the pattern you can use whatever toe you want. I used Judy’s Magic Cast On. I had trouble with it in the past, but this time I was able to cast on and knit on the first go! For both socks! Yay me!

I couldn’t remember if I had made a gusset heel before, as opposed to the short row and slip stitch heels that the book I got the pattern from also explains. Honestly I was too lazy to look. I think I have done because I have a vague recollection that I did a few pairs of socks when I first got this book on purpose to try out a few of the different toes an heels. But I don’t have an independent recollection of doing the gusset heel. Here it is!

Safari Socks

I like that it’s just plain. We’ll see how it wears. It’s super easy. I use the magic loop method so I only have two needles. You increase the gusset stitches on one needle, then turn the heel. That’s it! One of the things I hate about top down socks is picking up the gusset stitches. I don’t know if I hate it enough to go through the cognitive effort to turn my top down patterns into toe up sock patterns, but if I have a choice I may go with toe up for that reason alone.

This isn’t the first time I tried to use this yarn. Way back in 2009 I tried making Jaywalker socks with this yarn. I remember working on them while I was watching the Winter Classic. That was the year it was at Wrigley Field and the Blackhawks played the Red Wings. But I digress. Anyway, as much as I like the way the colors striped and pooled on my Safari Socks, that’s how much I hated it on the Jaywalker Socks.

WIP - Jaywalker
WIP - Jaywalker

These pictures actually make it look better than it was. It was hideous. I frogged those socks, and the yarn sat in my stash until now. According to Ravelry I added this yarn to my Ravelry stash in August 2007, which is the day after I got my Ravelry account (#7614). So I’ve had it longer than that. It was about time that I used it.

The total yardage used on this project was 313.9 yards. After finishing this project I have knit 96.3% of the total yards I have purchased so far this year. I should say that includes one other finished object, which I finished before the socks but haven’t posted about it. That was a small yardage project, though, and I’m too lazy to do the math but it would only reduce the percentage by a few points. I’m so close to having knit all of the yards I have purchased!!


One Response to “Safari Socks”

  1. […] fingering weight yarns I’ve used recently. Clockwise from top left, I used the yarn from my Safari Socks, the yarn from my Kai-Mei socks, the yarn from my Sallah Cowl, and the yarn from the Shallows […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: