Once the rows on my Radiance Shawl got so long that I didn’t want to take out out of the house, I needed a project that I could take to knit group or when knitting outside the house. I had this awesome skein of Sophie’s Toes sock yarn in Pumpkin Spice for four years.
Every autumn I think about knitting with it; however, then I realize that I won’t have the project finished in autumn, and that sort of defeats the purpose, doesn’t it? So in early September, when I wanted to start a new portable project, I thought about this skein of yarn and vowed that I would have a new pair of autumn themed socks before autumn ended.
I chose the Acorn Stash Sock pattern. Isn’t it cute? So I started knitting, and it was going well. I found the increasing seven stitches into one stitch to be mildly irritating, but it only happened every six rows, so I was okay with that.
When it became time to start the heel flap, the pattern stopped making sense to me. I’m an experienced sock knitter, so that doesn’t happen too often. I knit the correct amount of stitches according to the pattern but ended up in the middle of a pattern repeat when I was supposed to separate for the heel flap. That just didn’t seem right. After exercising my brain for a few more minutes, I thought I should go to the Ravelry project page to see if there is errata for that pattern. Guess what? There was.
I clicked through to the publisher’s page where the errata was, and was expecting to see a correction for starting the heel flap. Instead, the errata was for the stitch pattern itself. If you look at the sock you will see that the rows of acorns are offset. The pattern repeat is for two acorns: the top of one and the bottom of the one next to it. Well, it was backwards. That was fine, I just moved where the heel flap was and went from there. I think I made a couple of mistakes either in the heel flap or gusset because as I was decreasing I had an even number of stitches on the heel/gusset needle, and there was supposed to be an odd number of stitches. No biggie, I just figured I would decrease somewhere to eliminate a stitch. When making my initial correction I added a row to the heel flap, so I tried on the sock to make sure the heel flap and gusset weren’t too big. They were okay, but then I realized something.
The acorns were wonky. Very wonky.
Apparently I couldn’t increase seven stitches into one stitch evenly. It looked a tad wonky as I was knitting it, but I knew it would stretch when I put the sock on and figured it would even out. When I tried the sock on I discovered that it didn’t even out.
This picture is dark, but if you look closely you can see that the cap of the bottom acorn is thicker on the right side than the left side. If you look at the acorn above it, you can see that the stem is slanted. The acorn itself looks better than the one below it, but that is just because of how it was laying over my hand when I Was taking the photo. They looked very wonky when the sock was on my leg, and that’s what matters.
So I decided to frog the sock. Once I rewound the skein, I had to decide whether to start these socks again, and decided it wasn’t worth it. Even if I took the errata into account from the beginning, the acorns would still end up wonky. Instead of starting these socks over again, I think I’m going to start the Havana Lace sock pattern, which is in the same book.