I thought that since I created a new page with my finished objects from this year I should go back and post pictures of the objects I completed this year before beginning this blog.
The first is my Go Bears! hat:
This is the one that I made the first time I cheated on the “no buying yarn until the whole stash fits in the armoire” rule. The yarn was Lorna’s Laces sportweight yarn in the Go Bears colorway. The pattern was “Knitted Cap” from the Summer 2006 issue of knit.1.
The second hat is partially responsible for the creation of the “no buying yarn until the whole stash fits in the armoir” rule.
This is the Carousel Hat from Lion Brand. The yarn is Lion Brand Wool Ease in loden, gold, fuschia, and cocoa. I wanted to make this hat to wear with a wool coat that I have which is rather drab, so I thought a colorful hat such as this one would brighten it up a bit. I figured that I should also have a scarf to match, so when I purchased the yarn I bought two skeins of yarn in each color instead of the one skein of each the pattern called for. I made a scarf, and I sitll had a lot left over, and the leftovers wouldn’t fit in the armoire. Neither would the leftover yarn I got for the blanket I made for my dad and stepmom for Christmas. Thus, the no new yarn rule.
As I said, I made a scarf, but I am not posting a picture of it here. Why? Because it’s awful, and I will probably never use it. If you look at the carousel hat pattern, then look at the finished object, you will see that I didn’t include the crocheted trim. I tried the trim, but I couldn’t get it to work. This was the perfect time for me to learn to crochet! My boyfriend bought me the book Stitch n’ Bitch Crochet – The Happy Hooker book, and now was a great time to use it. So I crocheted a scarf in the same color as the hat.
And it was awful. I mean awful.
I am not very good at crochet. I hope this changes at some point. I would like to learn and get better, but I don’t remember knitting being this difficult for me at the start. First, I made my chains too tight, so I couldn’t easily crochet into them. As I got used to single crochet my stitches started to loosen up. This scarf was crocheted horizontally, so as it loosened up the rows got longer, which means that now the scarf curls up. Not pretty. But, it was a good introduction to crochet. The last few rows were pretty good, so maybe there is hope for me yet.
That was the past. Now, onto the future, or present as the case may be. My cut is almost healed. That means I can start working on Poinsettia agan! Now I really don’t want to, though, because it’s a winter sweater, and it’s such a beautiful day outside.